Wednesday, January 27, 2016

To Err is Human

I'd say that about every fourth activity I perform is characterized by an error.  Sometimes it's a driving error - like the time I made a left into the lane for oncoming traffic.   Sometimes it's an error at work - like when I mistakenly allowed a lobbyist to use a government computer.  Sometimes it's in the choices I make with money.  And other times, it's in my interactions with people, offending some and showing too little concern for others.  

I am a human being.

In each instance, I pray that any other party involved will demonstrate leniency.  "Officer, I promise I won't conduct that illegal U-turn again.  I'm sorry!!!"

But surprisingly, when it comes to those who've made mistakes that have affected me, I'm less likely to dole out any passes.



I returned home for the Christmas holiday, and after four years at my current place of employment, I'd finally earned enough paid time off for a true extended break. 

Even though I visited my family, I hardly had time to relax.  My sisters and I joke that I am the family pastor, physician, chef, babysitter, maid, chauffeur, mediator, among other titles.  I wear my hats proudly but unfortunately I'm not superwoman.  I'm certain the transition back to my many roles contributed to the painful headache I succumbed to a couple days after Christmas.

I managed to have the house to myself for much needed recovery when my dad and sisters visited other family members in town.  I took the dogs outside to the backyard and rocked back and forth in a patio chair.  The warm winter air held a perfect measure of humidity, and the moments without my name called from various parts of the house felt heavenly.

As I rocked, I scanned the expanse of the house.  I noticed the windows to the hallway bathroom.  I envisioned what the house and land would look like with additions, like a playroom to host the children of relatives who visit.  In that visioning space, I had an encounter.   The Lord told me that grace was covering the house.  Huh?


The voice of the Lord resonated a little more deeply the next time I heard that there was grace covering the house.  The Lord told me that there was grace for forgiveness available and immediately I knew what I had to.

I made a point to release my parents from any offenses I felt had been committed against me.  I've done this before but this time was especially keen.  After saying "I forgive", I no longer felt a compulsion for my parents to perform any activity to right any wrongs.  I am certain that by this act, I have moved myself out of the way for the Holy Spirit to impact their lives.  The unforgiveness I held fueled judgments and condemnation, serving as a hindrance to their freedom.  I look forward to a year full of restoration and honor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment