Sunday, September 11, 2016

More on Rebellion

"Watch the kind of people God brings around you, and you will be humiliated to find that this is His way of revealing to you the kind of person you have been to Him."
- Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest Devotional, September 11th entry

I laughed out loud upon reading this line in my morning devotional.

You see, for about four years now I've been under the leadership of very rebellious bosses.  These bosses hate the "establishment", don't like the rules and refuse to follow them, and boast about their indifference to protocols.

I bemoaned having to submit to them. After work, I couldn't wait to tell my mom or best friend about how my boss yelled at another person, or told me to skirt around an established practice, or refused to listen to my ideas because she wanted to go her own way.

After a bout of examination, I realized that I had been exhibiting rebellion toward these leaders by not adding their suggested edits to documents and not performing tasks in a timely manner because I simply did not want to fulfill them.  I also had a bad case of gossip.

The Holy Spirit told me that if I did not learn to honor these leaders, that I would end up exhibiting exactly the rebellious leadership that I hated.

Ouch!

After a week of wrestling, I approached my most recent boss and apologized for my rebellious ways.  She was completely unaware of my subversive behaviors and remarked that she appreciated my willingness to bring the behaviors to light.  I have committed to honoring her leadership through my work.  I have committed to honoring God through my work.  


The act of repenting from rebellion has started a loosening process.  When I repented, I told rebellion, "no, you can't stay here!"  The Holy Spirit has been guiding me - checking my behaviors and motivations - and bringing all rebellion to the light so that it can be touched by God's truth.  Whether I like it or not, those leaders were placed in their roles - like Saul in David's time - and my response is to follow their lead, within reason, until God directs me otherwise.  

God's process is always tough.  Pray for me. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment