Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Disciplined in Hearing His Voice

At the end of each class, my dog was usually identified as the one needing a little extra attention from the trainer.  While the trainer taught lessons, my dog often ran in place to the point of exhaustion or tried to earn the attention of other dogs so that they could play together.  My dog is a lot of fun… and she’s still not disciplined solely because of me! Ha!


I remember one of the first lessons we dog owners learned.  We were instructed to stop talking to our dogs. Filled with affection, we often talk to our dogs constantly, about everything.  With all the information coming from us, dogs often tune us out -- unable to discern what’s important to hear.  The trainer explained that in order to effectively communicate commands that our dogs will adhere to, we owners must only communicate with them when the information is important and when there’s something that the dogs must do in response.


Nearly every other week I minister God’s kind thoughts and intentions to others in the Body of Christ.  I don’t always hear something new from God for myself with the same frequency. I consider these “dry spells” periods where I am not worthy of God’s attention. That’s a lie. God’s silence is not a punishment, but rather one way that he disciplines those he loves into accepting the gravity of the truth he shares and responding to his words in kind.


My declaration:
“God’s silence is not a punishment. He is disciplining me - his beloved - into accepting the truth in his words and responding to his carefully curated promises with hope, newfound elements of identity, and love.”


Friends, you are his sons and daughters.  He doesn’t hate you.  He loves you!  His silence is a method for preparing you to receive and accept his words and direction.  When the words come, they will land securely in the tenderized places of your heart. You will be transformed.  Your inner life will receive an upgrade and you will see God’s hand on your outer circumstances. Wait on his words.


No comments:

Post a Comment