Sunday, January 27, 2013

Shining

I look back at pictures I took in grad school and cringe.  My appearance was thin and dull. (Blargh.) During that time I had lost intimacy with God.  I was in a dry season and man did it show!

God strategically placed a great counselor in my path while I was finishing up my degree.  I have seen him twice since my move to Atlanta.  Both times he remarked that I look better.  Relatives remark that I look better.  Former classmates and friends have noticed a change in my appearance too.

Last year I noticed that after I would spend some time with God, via quiet time, songs, or prayer, I looked fresher!  Ha! When I look in the mirror post-fellowship, my face has a bit of a shine to it.  What's that all about?

As an undergrad, I did my fair share of DC church hopping.  I visited a small church in Georgetown in 2007.  Here are my notes from that day -

Worried about your appearance?
- people advertise what's in their heart on their face
- people have glowing faces because of the life they lead
- you can see the love of Jesus in their eyes
- you chisel on your face what you harbor in your heart
- we need to spend more time in God's presence if we really care about our appearance (ex. Moses' face shone after he met with God... he wasn't aware that his face was shining [HUMILITY])
- purpose of prayer is to spend time with God so God can do his work in our lives
- mediocre people are often uncomfortable in the face of excellence (Aaron and others were uncomfortable around Moses) - in the presence of excellence, mediocrities seem more exposed
- Luke 9:28-36 Jesus' face and clothes changed
- Shining face = right relationship with God

Natural beauty is not an indicator of good genes or an easy life.  Natural beauty is an indicator of a  heart engulfed by intimacy with the Father.  Intimacy is oftentimes interrupted by spiritual darkness (dark angels aka demons), wounds from our past, idols casting shadows on our hearts, and a host of other items found in the baggage we lug around.  But man, when we allow our Father to cast his light on the dark places in our hearts, it shows up on our faces.  

When I notice I look a mess, I take a spiritual inventory.  Have I spent time with Daddy today (or even this week)?  If not, I get into my makeover mode, and whip out a passage of scripture, shed a few tears, sing a song loud enough to bother my neighbors, and/or share a bit of myself with a godly friend. And then I run straight to the mirror to see a shining reflection of the work my Lord has done in my heart.  And I say thank you. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment