Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Total Praise

"I lift my hands in total praise to you..."

Richard Smallwood was sitting on the stage at my go-to church in Brooklyn.  Someone from the audience asked him about his motivation behind the song "Total Praise". Richard said that he sat down at his piano to write a song about God's absence, His abandonment in his time of need.  As he composed, what flowed from his inner-man was a song of adoration unto the Most High.

I woke up this morning feeling refreshed.  I put on my "worship night" playlist, and let the music play in the background as I got ready for the day.  Just before heading out the door, I paused to pray.  I stood in my living room, raised my hands, and said "Lord, I give you everything.  I give you my finances, my family, my friends, my  job, my relationships, my fun, my life.  I lay everything down before you. Thank you for your love."  By the end of the prayer, I was in tears.  And I was also smiling.  The worship music ushered an atmosphere of praise and surrender into my home.

I believe that Richard's trial, whatever it was, actually ushered in an atmosphere of praise into his heart.  When he sat down to compose, he believed that he was working under a cloud of heaviness and pain, but God was there prepping his heart for reckless abandon into His glory.  It's comforting to know that when we are in the valley, God is enlarging our hearts to receive more of him.

Psalm 23 says - "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me..."  A pastor once reminded his congregation that in order for there to be a shadow, the sun has to be present.  My sun, my light, my everything is the way, the truth, and the life.  He is the Son.  And despite the valley challenges, principalities, disappointments, and fears, he is here equipping me for victory.  I bow down with the angels, giving total praise unto Him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment