Thursday, February 19, 2015

Life Sentence

Matthew 12:36-37 Amplified Bible (AMP)

36 But I tell you, on the day of judgment men will have to give account for every idle (inoperative, nonworking) word they speak.
37 For by your words you will be justified and acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned and sentenced.




In verse three of the first chapter of the Book of Genesis we initially encounter the refrain, "Let there be light."  With words, God illuminated the universe.  Likewise, we can illuminate our lives, our futures, using words.  Many times though, we choose to darken our lives with powerless words.  I remember days when I stood in mirror and called myself an idiot.  (Yikes!)  I have friends who repeatedly say, "I'm weird" or "Good things like that don't happen to me".  (Double yikes!)

I believe that I poisoned my life with the lie that I was an idiot.  Because of that lie, I feared making decisions, believing that each one would be a mistake.  How can an idiot choose wisely after all?  But today, with a renewed mind, I believe I'm brilliant.  Seriously.  And that God is with me, His Holy Spirit prompting me to use wisdom and discernment.  Today, I use "working" words - words of power and truth (in alignment with God's word and nature) so that I sentence myself to a life of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. 

I weep for the men and women, boys and girls, sentenced to death with words of failure, defeat, wrath, and other ungodly characteristics.  I choose, we choose, life.  The Body of Christ chooses life.  And now, we renounce all inoperative, condemning words spoken over the children of God.  And today, we declare a future filled with powerful words that foster light and life.  God, be with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment