Saturday, January 26, 2019

Cultivating Patience

As I strengthen my own communication skills, I am able to hear more deeply. Even brief conversations with strangers tell me a lot about their worldview. During a train ride, a young commuter asked if he should release balloons in honor of a miscarried child. During a plane ride, a gentleman expressed his doubts about the acceptance of interracial dating. And during a recent bus shuttle ride, the driver shared "I don't believe people should live together before marriage. If you can't be patient before marriage, then how can you be a good spouse? You have to be even more patient when you're married and have kids."


Photo by Jeremy Thomas on Unsplash


It seems I make myself a "listening" target during public outings (LOL!). 

But that most recent encounter struck an internal chord. Is God using my present circumstance to cultivate something required for where I want to be? 

This morning, my husband shared that his job is teaching him to be humble. I've recognized that my own work circumstance teaches me patience. Humility and patience are required for us to love people well. And deep down, we just want to be good lovers.

Is God challenging you to mature in a specific area of your life so you can be the best in the next place you'll be? Name it. Write it down. Find scriptures about it. Pray those scriptures to God and say "me too".

I will be patient in affliction (Romans 12:12). I know that a woman who is patient has great understanding (Proverbs 14:29). Thank you for imparting understanding to me. I will be still as you fight for me, Lord (Exodus 14:14). I will wait patiently for you (Psalm 37:7). 


No comments:

Post a Comment