Wednesday, April 10, 2013

On Delighting in the Lord

Psalm 37:4 (Amplified)
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart.

At first read, Psalm 37:4 tells me that if I delight myself in the Lord, the things I want will be given to me.

On a second read I learn that if I delight myself in the Lord, he will fill me with desires that align with his will because they come straight from him.  And because of the alignment, he will respond with a "yes".

It's interesting that the verse does not begin with a conditional "if".  The directive is a command.  Delight, beloved, delight yourself in the Lord.

I have spent the past several months delighting in Him.

Sometimes delighting in the Lord means expecting little surprises throughout your week - like a monetary gift from grandma, a store discount, a free meal, a gas tank that takes a little longer to get to E, a heartfelt letter from a friend, replays of your favorite songs on the radio, or a scripture that just hits your spirit in the right place.

Sometimes delighting in the Lord means trusting him when Sallie Mae keeps calling, and your check engine light comes on, and your mother and sister are fighting, and your boss is inconsiderate, and you've lost your car keys.

Sometimes delighting in the Lord means telling him you're afraid of disappointing others, and that you're worried about falling back into that old pattern of sin, and that you're nervous about hanging out with a new group of friends.

Sometimes delighting in the Lord means taking a Sabbath, complete with a bubble bath and smooth jazz, and reading scripture, and writing, and singing, and crying, and praying, and RESTING.

Sometimes delighting in the Lord means being okay with Him not telling you every detail of his plan for your life.

Sometimes delighting in the Lord means watching your family members, who don't speak to one another, manage a car ride and a shopping excursion with no problems.

Sometimes delighting in the Lord means watching your siblings transform into God-fearing warriors. 

Sometimes delighting in the Lord means rejoicing with friends who receive promotions and new homes and new cars and new puppies, and not worrying about exactly when God is going to bless you.

Sometimes delighting in the Lord means allowing him to bring healing to the bitter places; you let him shine light on the dark spots and you don't complain! You ask for more... and more.

I can sum up delight as moments of surrender, transparency, trust, and pure joy.  

One day I heard the Spirit say that God would make the pain beautiful.  Some days it feels like he is taking quite a long time.  But in the process I learn more about his character, his supreme motivation - love -, and I abide.  

I am not dressed for the occasion.  I do not have the right dress on, or the right shoes, and my hair isn't done.  The prince enters the ballroom and for some odd reason he chooses me.  Even though I feel like I'm not worthy, he asks me for my hand.  As I place my hand in his, the spectators begin to whisper.   "Who is she? How could she?," they say.  And he, in all his glory and majesty, silences them and announces me as his daughter, his lover, his sister, and his friend.  As I weep, he stares.  He cannot take his eyes off me. I return the gaze and I plan to make the moment last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment