Sunday, March 24, 2013

Older Women, You're Beautiful!

Why don't older women know how beautiful they are?

A co-worker approached me sometime last week.  She was admiring my full head of hair.  (I'm telling you, my hair has more friends than I do.)  She went on to tell me that she has hired a personal trainer, began a chemical hair growth process, and is saving up for plastic surgery to slim down her nose and pull back her skin.  At the end of the conversation she said: "Yea, I'm trying to keep up with you young girls, you pretty young girls."

And I thought to myself, "why?"

Older women are so beautiful to me.  And it doesn't stem from their looks and clothing, although that often is the case too.  It's something about their presence. 

Have you ever seen a confident older woman operate a meeting? BOSS!

Have you ever seen a confident older woman fight for justice at her child's school or even in the supermarket? BOSS!

When I see an older woman, I see someone who has overcome the abuses of adolescence,the uncertainties of being a twenty-something, the glass ceilings in the work place and in the church, and the juggling act that happens in the home.  These women have survived (both complicated and uncomplicated) pregnancies, supported their men through their dreams and career transitions, raised more than one generation of future citizens (and has even stood by them when they couldn't act right), and risked vulnerability to provide wisdom to us young women who fail to see through the fallacies of unrealistic worldly expectations and men who mean us harm.

And seeing how they have struggled, and provided, and overcome, and remained confident shows me the measure of unselfish, unconditional love they have in their hearts.  It also shows me how much the Father loves them.  He equipped them with all of that?! Wow.  I see heart, triumph, and beauty.  True beauty.  

Why don't they see it?????

No comments:

Post a Comment