Thursday, March 21, 2013

What Me and Queen Bey Have in Common

Beyonce and I have a love-hate "relationship".

She records songs that I love! But I hate that she has a huge ego. This woman went on and on in a GQ article about her "power".  I have heard her talk about building her "empire".  She recently released a song telling all of her subjects to "bow down b*tches".  (Bey, that's enough now.)

But like Beyonce, I too have an ego problem.  

It's customary for me to pray before traveling.  On my recent trip to Boston though, instead of praying, I made a declaration.  I thought to myself, "Everyone on this plane is lucky that I am here.  God is with me and because I am his daughter nothing is going to happen to this plane.  Ha! They are so lucky."

ROTFL!

Now, on the surface, the declaration seems innocent enough.  I am confident that God has things covered.  I believe in his power and authority, and I believe that he's going to protect me as I travel.  See, but I made the declaration conditional; I made God's protection conditional on my presence on the plane. I forgot that -

God is sovereign. 

 

Instead of approaching the throne of grace with an air of humility, I arrogantly placed myself on the throne.  (Elise, do better.)

If I had a chance for a re-do, it would go something like:
"Heavenly Father, I come humbly before you Oh Lord, thanking you for another opportunity to rest in your presence.  Thank you for hearing my prayer.  Thank you for keeping this plane in the air.  Send your angels to rest on the wings and in the engines.  Guide the pilots and the flight attendants.  Holy Spirit, bring an air of peace and comfort to all of the passengers.  I am believing you oh God for a safe take-off and landing.  Thank you for your love.  In Jesus' mighty name, Amen."

And Amen, and Amen, and Amen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment